For a longer description, Renzhi Safe is an Android application for establishing and maintaining an encrypt-on-the-fly safe (or volume, or data storage device). Data are automatically encrypted before they are saved, and decrypted after they are read, without any user intervention. No data stored in an encrypted safe can be read without first opening the safe with the correct password. The safe contains an entire file system, which is encrypted (e.g., file names, folder names, contents of files, free space, any other information).
Files can be copied to and from an opened safe just like they are copied to and from any normal folder. You can also perform drag-and-drop operations. As you read or copy a file from the safe, it is automatically decrypted. Similarly, as you move or copy a file to a safe, it is automatically encrypted on-the-fly.
Suppose you keep a secret photo inside a safe. After the safe is opened with the correct password, you can see the photo file, and view it with any photo viewer application that you have installed on your Android device. Once you are done viewing it, you can close the safe (i.e. lock it).
A built-in file browser allows you to work with the contents of your safes, your folders and files easily.
- Creates a virtual encrypted safe within a file and open it as a folder.
- Encrypts an entire safe, not just a specific data file.
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Uses AES algorithm, with 256-bit encryption keys.
- Creates as many safes as your storage allows.
- Creates as large a safe as your storage allows.
- Opens multiple safes at the same time.
- Contains a whole file system.
- Encrypts whole file system, including folders and sub-folders, data file, metadata, etc.
- Encrypts different safes with different passwords.
- Encrypts and decrypts really fast.
- Opens and operates just like a normal folder.
- Works with any other Android applications transparently.
- Work with multiple SD cards
- Keeps virtual safe container files on different SD cards.
- Backup and restore encrypted safes.
- Close all safes in one command.
- Option to check if a safe is busy, i.e. any other app is currently using the contents of the safe.
- Option to force close a safe even if a file in the safe is currently busy.
- Built-in file browser.
- Option to shred file before deleting.
- Option to display thumbnails or not.
- Start up in Safe Management mode or in File Browser mode.
Your Android device must:
- Be rooted
- Have SuperUser installed
- Some stock kernels do NOT work
Planned features for future releases:
- Add multi-select to file browser.
- Add functionalities to create archive and unzip archive (depends on multi-select feature)
- Add search to file browser.
- A shortcut to close all safes in an emergency, without having to bring up the Renzhi Safe app, e.g. shake your Android device in a specific patterns to force close all safes.
- An option to securely wipe the contents of a safe container during delete, not just deleting the files, so that crackers can’t even try to crack it.
- Link the security of a safe to the security Android. When the user unlocks Android, the safe is automatically opened, when the user locks Android, the safe is close (Mohammad Ghasem Nejati Rad suggested the idea).
- Master password for safes management and operation, e.g. edit, delete, etc.
- An option to check Android device compatibility. Some vendors are known to exclude some important modules in their kernel, this makes Renzhi Safe unusable on those devices. We’d like to be able to verify usability first, instead of waiting for things to explode when users start using it.
- Advanced/Pro mode, allowing users to select encryption algorithm and key size during safe creation.
- Integrate with PGP/GPG, allowing users to specify an encryption key, instead of just using a password.
- Resize an existing safe to make it larger.
- Remote safe container. Have the safe container file hosted on a remote safe, e.g. SSH server, SFTP server, DropBox, etc, and open it locally on the Android device as if the safe is on the device.
- Generate thumbnail for all file types (pdf, office, open office, video, etc)
- Show more file properties, depending on file types, e.g. Office document.
- Add option to set time-out time for open safe, and automatically close the safe after a pre-set time.
If you have other ideas and requests, you are welcome to contact me. If your good idea is incorporated as a feature, you will be “compensated” with a free copy of Renzhi Safe